Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Beauty and the Beast

Why am I calling this update Beauty and the Beast? Well yesterday was my first time participating in challenges over on SCS. I thought I would start with the inspiration challenge Birch Bark Birds artwork (you can see the challenge here -> http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324939

The artwork is clean and contemporary - this is not a style the I typically use in my cards - I like sponging, distressing and using hardware. But challenges are good for me and will help me spread my creative wings *right* and I like blue and brown together… So….
Here is what I created - The Beast - I don‘t care for this card… I‘ll class it as Yucky:

This is the only bird stamp that I have (Stampendous) so I thought I would dress him up some. I embossed the bird on Timeless Collection (Deja Views) paper and embossed the Baroque Motifs (SU) flourish using Brilliance Dew Drops - thought all this would dress the bird up a bit. I added a real feather tail. To add the interesting geometric shapes in the artwork I used, again, the Timeless paper and Fragments (Tim Holtz).

Other steps: (a)papers Timeless, SU Kraft and Choc Chip, (b) branch - Leafless Limbs lg (Stampscapes) - stamped in Choc Chip - I wanted it to look like two limbs so I covered part of the image with Scotch tape, inked up and then removed the tape before stamping the image - this is a GREAT trick! (c) leaves in the birds mouth from Baroque Motifs, ribbon is heated organza, (d) added some Hero Arts bling on the birds eyes and bodies (e) on the taller flowers I used some liquid applique
Now on to The BEAUTY - the next card is from the Round & Round We Go challenge that can be found here -> http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324659

Looking at my cards I can see that I don’t use circles much and I have a great circle cutting tools - Nestabilities (Spellbinders) and Curvy Cutter (EK Success) - so.. Hmmm.. I thought let’s give this a try! Here is the beautiful card that I created (can you tell I really like this one...LOL)…


The focal image on this card is Large Silhouette Flowers (Starving Artistamps) stamped in black. But before stamping the flowers you need to do the brayered sky background. On SCS Zindorf is the queen of the brayer - she created a tutorial on how to do this technique. The colors used for the sky are (all SU) Soft Sky, Bashful Blue and Not Quite Navy. The technique is easy - use gentle pressure, roll from the top and when you use a bolder color (here Not Quite Navy) roll off some of the ink onto scratch paper first.

Other steps: (a) papers - all SU Glossy, Black , White and Soft Sky, (b) focal image was cut using Nestabilities, rest of the circles were cut using Curvy Cutter - each circle is ¼ inch © bling is Hero Arts (d) Friends (Fancy Flexible Phrases - SU) is stamped on a scrap corner of the brayered background - the deeper blue circle is also punched from the same scrap

I hope you enjoyed see Beauty and the Beast (can’t believe I shared this one…)

Now that you've seen both - which do you like?

KAT

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I LOVE them both! They are both so unique and a great style! Love your brayered background and silhouette stamps and the fun way you used those circles! Fabulous!

lauren bergold said...

hello! i saw this in stef's challenge gallery at SCS and i just had to come and speak in defense of "THE BEAST"!!!

i *love* this card! it caught my eye immediately for its sheer aesthetics AND for how well it captures a sense of charley harper's style from the inspiration piece! i ADORE those little birds, i love the strips, the squares, the feathers, the coordination of patterns and textures, and, *especially* the way you've combined "modern" details & angles with distressing techniques.

in short, i love everything about this!!! (so there!) :)

(ps: having said that, "the beauty" is gorgeous, as well!)