Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rustic Silhouette Resist

Still on the what do you do with Tim Holtz Idea-ology packaging - here is another idea:

Rustic Silhouette Resist:



A shot to show you the dimension:


So what is it? I save the packaging from Tim’s idea-ology stuff (yes I am addicted to Tim’s stuff but don’t tell my husband). I cut off the flat pieces of the packaging and use it. In the card the scraps of plastic are the colored flowers and the butterfly - you can really see them in the dimension shot.

The overall technique used with this card is Paint Resist -this is one of my favorites - of course I love any resist because it’s like magic to me. Here are the steps:

Background
1. The background is clear embossed on a page from an old book
2. Then cover with brown acrylic paint and allow the paint to dry
3. After the paint is dry mist a paper towel and wipe the paint off the resist portion. When using pages from an old book be CAREFUL to not rip you paper.

Colored Flowers and Butterfly
1. Do steps 1 - 3 above except instead of the old book page use brightly colored scrap book paper
2. After removing the paint from the embossed areas use Glossy Accents to adhere the plastic packaging scraps to the pieces and allow to dry
3. Then cut out the pieces - I like to leave a “paint boarder” on them so I don’t cut right up against the embossed image
4. Bend as you like - they will hold their shape

It looks like a lot of instructions but give it a try it’s really easy! I have one more Green Tim Packaging idea for you tomorrow - so until then - start looking for your scraps of Plastic Packaging!

KAT

The Stuff
Stamps - (all Innovative Stamp Creations) Nature Silhouettes II, Rustic Artsy Swirls, Passion Flower
Paper - Rustic Chic (Angel Company); Choc Chip, Baja Breeze (SU)
Ink - VersaMark, Choc Chip (SU)
Other - scraps of plastic packaging (from Tim Holtz Idea-ology collection), Glossy Accents (ranger), Acrylic Paint

5 comments:

Connie M. said...

Oh my, Kathy! This is stunning! WOW!! Love how you layered the flower, and that border...amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hello Kat,

this is the kind of stuff I like !!
I like it all : the resist technique, the colors you used, the dimensional effect, the composition ,...

So, you mainly use the plastic here to hold the flowers and the butterfly in shape ?

Thanks for the instructions : I'm going to try it out on some birthcards I have to make this week.

greetings from Belgium
Inge

SmilynStef said...

Wow this is fabulous ... love it.

Jenny Gropp said...

This is so funky and fresh! Love it!

Beth Norman said...

This is stunning!!