Sunday, August 29, 2010

Almost a Holiday Too Late!

I started this project on Tuesday and just finished it today and now I am uploading less than 2 hours before the deadline... Cutting it short but this project with 12 sides took me AWHILE to make!

This project is for the Lord of Tim Holtz challenge on Simon Says Stamps and Show. Seriously, how could I not do a Tim Holtz inspired challenge!?!?!? I'll warn you up front this is a long post - I used lots and lots of Tim on this project from techniques, to grunge, to dabbers, to distress embossing powders, to idea-ology, to lost and found, to distress inks and on and on and on....

I made a 3 block Holiday Piece with each side featuring either Christmas, Halloween, Valentines or Easter. All the blocks were covered with vintage book text and then wrinkle free distress technique in corresponding holiday colors.

Christmas:
Top (the tag moves up and down so that you will not see it on the next holiday side):

Middle (I used masking tape to remove the wrinkle free distress ink where the Santa was to be stamped) :

Bottom (based one of my favorite Tim Christmas Tags 2009):

Halloween :

Top:

Middle (faux metal technique on the hinge and skull):

Bottom (look at how the skull from the poison image fits perfectly into the film strip ribbon - did Tim do that on purpose?):

Valentine's:

Top:

Middle:

Bottom:

The rose was made using Lynn's tutorial for a grunge ribbon rose. Below are some samples that I made using larger strips of grunge paper - this rose is the largest one - I glued two pieces of 12 inch GP together:

Easter:

Top (that cute bunny image is from Lost and Found - not sure why this one is light?):

Middle (love putting distress embossing powder on the metal foliage):

Bottom (look at that cute little bunny butt and you gotta love all the grunge and distress stickles):

So that is the end of my big TaDa.... There were times this week when I did not think I would get this finished in time - we'll call this one a Tim-may Labor of Love!

Hope you had a fabulous weekend and Happy Creating!

KAT

The Stuff - well all things Tim Holtz of course! And some vintage book pages and wooden drawer pulls (the feet), dymo label maker

43 comments:

roro said...

wow Kat, I was with you when we were creating this week and you still blow me away, its awesome beyond words. I hope you get picked you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redmom said...

Wow!! These are all absolutly stunning!!

Renee S. said...

Outstanding! This is quite an entry. Tim would be proud and impressed.

Kathy Eddy said...

This is just so clever and very creative! I love it.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! What else can be said? Oh, OK, how about BEAUTIFUL!
Eileen

Nancy said...

Oh, my gosh, Kat! This is ... WOW!!! WOW!!! As I've said before, I want to come play at your house in the hopes some of your outstanding creativity rubs off on me! I absolutely LOVE this!!

Thank you for joining me & the other Design Team members for this week’s Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge! We really appreciate you joining in with us - I'm so happy you continue to do so.

Kat said...

Here's from Kat to another its a-m-a-zing!!!! Love, love, love it.

Lori said...

OMGAWD Kat! This is one of your best pieces yet... so totally cool, this piece rocks the house! Love it! Can you tell! lol! Thanks for joining the SSSS challenge...WOW!!!!!

Kris Turner said...

Kat: I love your work and this one is over the top, jaw-dropping terrific!!! I think Tim would be very proud!

Kris, Wadsworth, OH

slbt17 said...

Wow! This is wonderful.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

You have topped the charts with these amazing pieces! Hats off to you and your uber cool creations. You ROCK!!
Vicki B. in OP NY

Joy said...

WOW! These creations are AMAZING!

Nancy D. said...

What a wonderful piece!...I just love it!

dblanken said...

So pretty, these are beautiful. What a great creative idea.

Vic said...

What a fantastic piece! You did a beautiful job.

ScrappyPam said...

Gorgeous project - such a clever piece!!

amdiluigi said...

Wonderfully creative! Is there any chance that you could give us some more details: How big are the blocks and where did you get them? How tall is the whole project? Is that metal on the edges?
A short tutorial would be so appreciated!!!!!
Thank you so much!!!!

Erin Glee said...

Kat, your Birthday should be one of the major Holidays because you are the Queen of Grunge... (well, at least one of them.... so many to look up to)! LOVE your challenge project!

Pat said...

Kat, this is amazing! A real Wowzer! Thanks for sharing. I do not have a clue how you come up with all these great things, but keep it up!
Hugs, Pat

Lynne Forsythe said...

Kat...no words...I have no words to describe the AMAZINGNESS of this project!!
thanks bunches for playin' with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!!

hehehehe...great job on the GP roses!!

SusanK said...

Jumpin' jack flash! That is one super awesome fantabulous piece of art!!!!

Naomi said...

This is such a wonderful project. You are sooo talented! Thanks for sharing.

Starla said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! GF~~You ROCKED the T!m challenge!! This belongs in his book of all the fun things you can do with his goodies!! FABULOUS!

Anonymous said...

Kat,
All I can say is: Outstanding!!! It is simply amazing.
Gail in Oklahoma

Karen said...

Fantastic! Every side is wonderful and I love that you have made something that can stand proudly throughout the year and just be turned to stay current.
It really is stunning.

Barb U aka Stampenstein said...

This is fabulous...what great works...

scrappin-scrappin said...

Oh, I love your project!! Very creative!!

Sarah Raines said...

Kat- this is absolutely amazing. It took my breath away. I think this is quite possibly the best artwork I've seen ever!

Anonymous said...

wowser! totalllllllllly awesome! I need to craft with you girl! luv luv luv it! so much detail..outstanding! cher

Karla Anderson said...

wow wow wow, this is an amazing piece! I have something in the works with the same concept, but quite different also - but goodness this really is fantastic!

Robin said...

Kat - amazing - incredible - creative genius. these are awesome and I'm totally blown away by your work. Tim would be impressed with your thinking outside the box. Can I ask you one question where did you find the blocks? thanks again Robin

MarleneMAZ said...

Kat, this is absolutely stunning!!
It must have taken you ages to do all of this. If you don't win I will be shocked.

Pam Austin said...

WOW KAT! That is so creative and original and a fabulous use of the new Tim stamp set with the holiday tickets! I always know I will be so very impressed when I visit your blog and this time you've actually outdone yourself!

Luthien Thye said...

this must be one of the most innovative, creative and fabulous piece of work that i've ever set my eyes upon! exquisite!

Deborah "DeBB!e" Ann Emmons said...

Congratulations on making the top 3. Very well deserved. Beautiful piece of art and so practical. You can leave it out just about all year. :-) Stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Lynne Forsythe said...

still can't tell you enough how much I love this project!!! Congrats on your top 3 win!!

~* steph :) *~ said...

wowee, amazing kat! i love your creation. just packed with tim holtz goodness~congrats on making the top three!!! thanks for sharing!
thanks also for your sweet comments on my blog. hope you have a wonderful day!
*hugs* steph :)

Unknown said...

This is SO well thought out and well done in being in the TOP 3 you definatley earned your place

Love Dawn xx

Lisa said...

I have no words for how incredible this is!!!!! NO surprise at all for a top 3 spot....

Morag Cutts said...

Stunning project.I love all the different techniques you have incorporated.

inge said...

hello Kat,

those blocks are a treasure !
there are so many details to look at, that it's hard to pick one favorite...

You put a lot of work and time in this project, but this is something you will enjoy the whole year around !
greetings from Belgium
Inge

Bearcrazyman said...

This is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!
GREAT JOB!!!!

jan metcalf said...

How awesome!! Great projects and use of "T!m"! Did I say amazing?